Prayer Country: A Tour Guide to the Wonders of Prayer. Today's post is taken from her chapter entitlted "The List Cruise" and gives suggestions for various "prayer lists". Watts points out that lists work well for people who have a choleric, organizational, work-oriented temperament.
Here are some suggested ways to experience the "List Cruise" in your prayer journey:
1. Divide a sheet of paper into 5 columns and write WANTS, JOYS, CARES, FEARS, SORROWS at the head of the columns. Write as many items as personally apply to you under each category. Read God the list as you pray.
2. Set up a Prayer Journal dedicated to prayers you have for individuals. A spiral notebook works well for this. On one side of the page list all the people for whom you want to pray. In a second column, write down what your prayer is for them (they may have asked you for prayer, in which case you may want to write down their request), and in a third column you can list what the outcome was, date, etc. You can take this journal with you and if you are stuck in traffic, flip to your prayer page and pray.
3. Blessings and Challenges List(s): Make a list of your blessings and/or challenges and present them to God during a praise devotional you have.
4. Godly Decision-Making. If you are struggling with making a particular decision, write it out as you know it, and on one side of a page write all the "pros" and on the other side write all the "cons". Bring this up with God when you pray and ask His help in making the final decision.
5. Goal Setting With God: Once or more a year set aside a couple of quiet hours with God just for this purpose. Enlist His help in setting your physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, family, professional, social, and financial goals for the next period of time (one year, five years, six months, whatever).
There are many other excellent suggestions in this chapter. Read the book!
*image courtesy of Jason Antony, Vancouver, BC, at StockXching.
ADRA HAITI DONATIONS- Credit card donations to ADRA for Haiti can be made toll-free 888-274-2372 or mail a cheque to ADRA Canada 1148 King St. E., Oshawa, ON L1H 1H8 or make your donation securely on-line (by credit card or bank withdrawal)by clicking HERE To see what is happening in Haiti and elsewhere ADRA serves, go here.