I saw jets of light shining from cities and villages, and from the high places and the low places of the earth. God's word was obeyed, and as a result there were memorials for Him in every city and village. His truth was proclaimed throughout the world. --Testimonies, vol. 9, pp. 28, 29. {ChS 112.2}

Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas Spirit

Are you in "the Christmas Spirit"? I have had this question asked of me a few times recently, and by people I don't worship with. Either I look like I NEED to tell my face that I am happy, or maybe there is an assumption that I am a Christian and will know what they are talking about so it is safe to ask me, and to assume that they won't get a negative blast and bah-humbug.

Traditionally Adventists really played down this time of the year and many discounted any true spiritual connection to the birth of Jesus, who we all know was born in the Spring when Shepherds were out in the fields with their birthing sheep. Somewhere along the way there was a bit of a worldly shift, if you like, and Adventists began erecting Christmas trees in their homes. Then they even appeared in some Churches.

I've been a baptized Adventist for the past 14 years. I love being able to rejoice with other Christians at this time of the year. I love being connected to our Saviour's birth in an almost tangible way. And I love having my (non-Adventist) adult children and grandchildren attend services with me....because it's Christmas.

What does "having the Christmas Spirit" mean to you, and do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment