I saw jets of light shining from cities and villages, and from the high places and the low places of the earth. God's word was obeyed, and as a result there were memorials for Him in every city and village. His truth was proclaimed throughout the world. --Testimonies, vol. 9, pp. 28, 29. {ChS 112.2}

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Making Friends for Jesus



(This is a birthday party from my childhood. Circa 1962)





Early this morning I had an appointment to get some testing done, just as part of a health goal (so no worries, okay?). Ed and Conrad scooted over to the Farmer's Market with a promise to pick me up very shortly. When the tests were done I went out and didn't see them, so went next door to an Art Supplies Shop. I noticed that there was no one in the shop except for a woman doing some ceramic painting. She greeted me (the shop owner?) and I just drifted about. Then she called out to ask if I needed any help.

I'm not quite sure how it started, but within a couple of minutes the two of us had a most enjoyable conversation going... I learned that she had a daughter doing missionary work in an orphanage in Africa (and she, of course, learned about my son in the Philippines). We seemed to 'click' on several topics. Before I left (without making a purchase, by the way), I had given her my business card (she has a son who needs coaching)and she called out, "See you again!"

I've been praying to make friends in the community and God is faithful. This is still an "acquaintanceship" based on a business connection, but it has the earmarks of a friendship.

In the Comox Valley it would seem that making friends is less difficult than it is in a larger anonymous city. What are people interested in?

* Sports
* Health
* Sex and relationships
* Advice on personal problems
* Hobbies
* Local information
* Tourism ideas
* Humor
* TV, Films, Books
* Music
* Social Topics
* News-related things
* Famous people
* plus a million other things

"Smiles and Laughter are the shortest distance between two people"
--Victor Borge

"Your challenge is to bridge the gap which exists between where you are now and the goal you intend to reach"
-- Earl Nightingale

Remember back to making friends as a child? Remember the joy of discovering points of commonality and differences with 'new' friends? Why deprive yourself of that joy today?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment