I saw jets of light shining from cities and villages, and from the high places and the low places of the earth. God's word was obeyed, and as a result there were memorials for Him in every city and village. His truth was proclaimed throughout the world. --Testimonies, vol. 9, pp. 28, 29. {ChS 112.2}

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hospitality for Dummies...


Hospitality is not one of my gifts. I have to work hard at it... I am an introvert by nature and a crab by profession (sort of kidding, but there is a large element of truth here nonetheless). On Friday my husband mentioned that his dear friend would be coming to stay with us for a couple of days-- on Sunday. Well, this morning (Sunday) I was up early and doing about six months' worth of heavier cleaning jobs as fast as I could. When he arrived, the vacuum cleaner was sitting in the livingroom and the mop and pail was leaning up against the kitchen counter. He's a long-time, gracious friend and didn't even bat an eyelash as he said, in response to my apologies, "What? You want me to go away and come back again in six months?"

I so look forward to welcoming new members into our Church community and into our home! For me that means a conscious preparation... prayer for readiness, allowing time in my day for 'maintenance jobs' that I am apt to let slide, and a commitment to being more in tune with the people around me. Do you have some tips or suggestions to help us all get ready for warmly welcoming others into our lives?


*the picture of my Grandma at her 70th birthday party in Vancouver, March 16, 1972, shows long-time good friends and her sister, Ethel. Some of her friends went right back to her young girlhood. Grandma was very hospitable... she operated an "open house" at all times and many, many (unrelated by blood) children called her "Grandma". I will attempt to remember the role she modeled for me.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment